In recent years, the emergence and popularization of the Local Food Movement has led to a dramatic increase in the availability of locally-grown food. Websites such as Ripe Near Me and Local Harvest connect people to local food growers; weekly farmer’s markets scattered all throughout Los Angeles bring local produce directly into our neighborhoods. But what about food that is grown right in our backyards? This week’s featured event aims to frame and discuss this practice of backyard gardening within the wider dialogues of community and sustainability.
Who: The discussion will feature several speakers:
- Paul Buchanan
Chef-Owner | Primal Alchemy
- Erik Knutzen
Blogger | Author | Rootsimple.com
- Florence Nishida
Master Gardener | Natural History Museum | Los Angeles Green Grounds
- Susan Proffitt (Mrs. Josh Wattles)
Founder & Administrator | Nichols Canyon Co-op
What: This discussion will focus on the benefits, both for individual households and for the community as a whole, of backyard gardening and food preservation. Local practitioners, professionals, and community organizers will share their experiences.
When: Thursday, May 01, 7:00 – 8:30 pm
Where: Santa Monica Public Library (601 Santa Monica Blvd.) at the MLK Auditorium
- Monday: The Santa Monica Airport Commission hosts its monthly meeting at the City Council Chambers, beginning at 7:30 pm. Public input is encouraged. For this meeting’s agenda, click here.
- Monday: The Civic Auditorium Working Group hosts its monthly meeting in the Civic Auditorium East Wing (1855 Main St.) at 6:30 pm. This group “provides input on the development of recommendations for the renovation, programming and long-term operation of the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.” For the agenda, click here.
- Tuesday: The Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment hosts the second workshop in its Sustainable Landscape Architecture program. The workshop takes place at the SMC Bundy Campus (3171 Bundy Dr.). For more information about the program, click here.
- Wednesday: The Santa Monica Planning Commission hosts a special meeting at the City Council Chambers (1685 Main St., Room 213), beginning at 7:00 pm. For the meeting’s agenda, click here.
- Sunday: As part of its children’s programming, the Santa Monica Public Library hosts a monthly Lego Club at the Fairview Branch. The event runs from 3-5 pm and is intended for children ages 4 and up.