Via press release from Santa Monica Spoke.
May is Bike Month and Santa Monica is bustling with events all month celebrating biking as a fun, affordable form of healthy, active transportation for traversing Santa Monica. Mark your calendar for Bike to Work Day (#BTWD) May 17th with over 20 local pit stops for bike commuters. Bike Month is for everyone! Whether you ride for fitness, transportation or fun, you can find an event for you and maybe try something new like commuting by bike on #BTWD.
Last week, Santa Monica Malibu Unified Schools District and Santa Monica Safe Routes to School celebrated Bike it! Walk it! Bus it! Week. The City of Santa Monica’s semi-annual Bike It! Walk It! Bus It! Week encourages kids to be active by getting to school using alternative modes of transportation.
More on this celebration is here: http://smspoke.org/
This week we celebrate Bike Week and #BikeToWorkDay (#BTWD) which is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. #BTWD celebrates commuting by bicycle with pitstops that give encouragement, information and treats for passing cyclists.
In Santa Monica, local advocacy organization Santa Monica Spoke is coordinating local activities, and has posted a map of all the local pit stops in partnership with Buy Local Santa Monica.
Upcoming Events (How to Get Involved):
- Bike to Work Day is this Thursday, May 17th! For the first year ever Santa Monica has its own online map with over 20 local pit stops and many more events and specials through out the month of May. Join us in celebrating biking during #BikeMonthSM.
- Weekly #BikeLocalSM Handlebar Happy Hours (#HBHH) for #BikeMonthSM hosted by our favorite local businesses including 1212 Santa Monica and Bareburger on Thursday 5/17, Tiato on Weds 5/23 and West 4th + Jane on Thursday, 5/31. Everyone is welcome to join us and try some great happy hour specials!
- Bike Week Santa Monica – May 14th-19th. Culminates on May 19th on a Ride with Santa Monica Mayor Ted Winterer to Climate Fest 2018 and this years’ Family Bike Hub. ClimateFest is a free community event that will celebrate and inspire climate action, co-produced by the City of Santa Monica and Climate Action Santa Monica. The Bike Hub includes a Kids Bike Rodeo, Bicycling 101, a Bike Swap, Free Bike Maintenance and Family, Cargo and e-bike demos and test rides along with many more fun and interactive activities on sustainability and the environment.
- #BikeLocalSM Specials at participating businesses – Bareburger is donating $1 for each item sold from a Special Menu to SM Spoke and giving cyclists a raffle ticket each time they visit during #BikeMonthSM. You can win tickets to one of their many signature events. Bergamot Café is offering 10% off menu items all month when you show your bike helmet to score these specials. See all the #BikeLocalSM specials at SMSpoke.org and on the online map.
- LA Metro coordinates Bike Week LA and hosts a map of events across LA County for bicyclists to stop for a snack, coffee, and encouragement #BTWD May 17th, 2018.