SaMo Has Captured Most of Our Rain This Winter: “Since November, the city has been using a first-of-its-kind water recycling facility to capture rain and store it underground for future use. ‘Instead of this water flowing into the ocean, we’re taking that back and keeping it locally to replenish water supplies,’ Santa Monica water resources manager Sunny Wang said.” More details here along with pics of the plant.
SaMo Business Spotlight Series – Biotech: “Healthcare and biotechnology remain one of Santa Monica’s leading economic sectors, employing 12% of the city’s total employment.” This article highlights three SaMo Biotech startups.
Reimagining The Future of the Santa Monica Pier Parking Deck: Take this survey to weigh in on what you “would like to see from the revitalization of the space.”
Be a Host for the Citywide Yard Sale on April 23: The City’s Zero Waste Team is organizing this event to promote the reuse of existing products. Email email@example.com to sign up. More details here.
Look Inside The Beacon Hotel, Formally Known as the Shangri-La: This SMDP write up details many of the updates to the property featuring one of the best rooftop decks in the city.
Chef Combats Food Waste by Turning Unwanted Produce into Vinegars & Kombucha: This video report follows Chef Balo Orzoco at the Downtown SaMo Farmers Market and details his efforts.
Santa Monica Place Invites LGBTQIA+ Artisans to Apply for Made With PRIDE Marketplace: Partnering with Streetlet, the marketplace will take place each weekend in June and showcase local goods made in Southern California. More details here.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Montana Avenue Spring Fling Weekend Sale (Saturday 10a-6p): More details here.
- Saturday Morning Beach View Yoga (Saturday 10:30am @ 2400 Ocean Front Walk): “Start your weekend off bright with an energizing, heart expanding yoga flow with the Now Here Community!! All levels welcome.” Donations accepted. More details here.
- Vuori Abbot Kinney x Basecamp Takeover (Sunday 9am): “Get ready to sweat with Basecamp when they takeover Vuori Abbot Kinney.” More details here on the FREE EVENT.
- Silent Disco at an Urban Farm on Abbot Kinney (Saturday 8pm): “A special edition of Farm House is returning to the Cook’s Garden to celebrate spring with a Silent Disco.” More details here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: The Border Grill truck and the fire department will be at the market!
- Exploring Native Land & Cleanup @ Tongva Park & Santa Monica Beach (Sunday 2:30pm): Join community members for a cleanup Nature walk hosted by Josh Adujo @natives4nature (Gabrielino Tongva San Gabriel Mission Band of Indians) & @weexploreearth. The Gabrielino Tongva are the first peoples of this land and have lived in the Los Angeles Basin region for thousands of years. This is a unique opportunity to learn about their history and culture, while also giving back to the community by helping to keep the nature area clean.
- Upcoming OPA Meetings: Attending a meeting is a great way to learn about getting involved in your community!
- OPA Education Task Force Meeting (Friday 1pm): Click here to email Christina Allen for more info.
- OPA Renters Task Force Meeting (Monday 6pm @ Stella Barra): This Task Force is focused on ensuring the interests of renters in Ocean Park are both represented and advocated for. It meets the 4th Monday of every month. Click here to email Nick Rolston to learn more.
- OPA Main St Task Force Meeting (Wednesday 1pm @ Ashland Hill): This task force addresses issues unique to Main St, such as strengthening the ties between stores & the community, helping shape city policy for the street on issues such as restaurant parklets and zoning, and planning events such as Sharing an Open Main St. Click here to email Robbie Leer for more info or to get involved.
Home community news OPA Newsletter: Santa Monica Has Captured Most of Our Rain This Winter,...