OPA In Person Monthly Meeting Next Week: Join us on Alfafa’s back patio @ 2309 Main St Monday April 10 @ 6:30pm! Salads provided by OPA. We will also be hybrid on Zoom. Click here to add to your calendar. Guest speakers include:
- Peter James: Chief Operations Officer of the City of Santa Monica Public Works Dept providing an update on the City’s zero waste efforts and the Solid Waste Rate Study and raising awareness of the Airport Conversion planning effort and invite feedback on ways to best conduct outreach
- Cathy Taylor: SMFD Fire Prevention Coordinator
Learn More About SMPD’s Homeless Liaison Program: This two minute video explains how the Homeless Liaison Program, or “help team,” is a collaboration between police officers and mental health clinicians to aid community members and how to engage with their services.
Survey Finds Support for Streamlined Permitting Process and Minimal Fees for Outdoor Dining: This SaMo Mirror report on it’s survey results reveal positive feedback for outdoor dining setups amid municipal ordinance changes
Peace Activist and Artist Marissa Rubin to Be Honored With ‘Tree of Gratitude’: More details here on the tree to be planted in memory of longtime the longtime OP resident’s life and work on Earth Day in Palisades Park.
Earn Money While Supporting Local SaMo Businesses: A new locally started app named Thumzup is offering to pay people who shop and post about locally-owned businesses on their social media. More details here.
Los Angeles Declared Best City for Pizza in the US: This article discussing the “Federal Organization of Litmus Surveys” (whatever that is) doesn’t list any SaMo options, but we all know how strong our pizza game is!
Main St Farmers Market April Calendar: Here’s a snapshot of all the events scheduled this month, including an Easter Bunny Hunt this Sunday (yes, the market is open Easter Sunday).
Things To Do This Week:
- Rent Control Seminar for Tenants (Tuesday 4-6pm): Learn how rents are set, when they can be increased and by how much; what services are available for tenants through the Rent Control office; the remedies available for excess rent, lack of maintenance, and loss of amenities; and the eviction protections afforded to tenants under the rent control law and eviction moratoria related to the pandemic. More details here.
- Youth Yoga- Youth Enrichment (Wednesday 4pm): Free teen Yoga class offered by Venice Family Clinic every week through June 7, 2023. More details here.
- Celebrate Passover (Wednesday & Thursday): Passover starts Wednesday night and here are a few options if you’re looking for ways to celebrate it:
- Take a trip: Here is a site that organizes Passover vacations (yup…that’s a thing).
- Here is the schedule of events at Chabad SaMo.
- Passover Seder Crawl Through Venice. More details here.
- Here’s a list of restaurants with Passover dine-in and take-out options.
- Active Aging at the Main Library (Thursday 2-4pm): Join a walk-in tutoring at the library to learn more about Active Aging Pilot Program, Metro On the Move Riders Club, and Lyft MODE. The City of Santa Monica, LA Metro, and Big Blue Bus will be there to share information and answer any non-tech questions about active transportation. More details and register here.
- OPA & City Meetings:
Public Safety Reform & Oversight Commission Meeting (Tuesday 5:30pm): More details & agenda here.