Mainopoly is THIS Weekend: The 8th Annual “A Taste of Main Street” event is this Saturday, May 27th from 1pm – 5pm with an after party at The Victorian from 5-7pm. More details & tickets here on the “culinary tasting tour and real-life board game adventure all-in-one!”
- Main St is Getting Noticed! Here are some of the media outlets covering this weekend’s event: TimeOut, KTLA, LA food blogger Toddricken, Discover LA,
Sign up for SaMo’s First Plastic Film Recycling Pickup: Odds are you have a lot of bubble wrap, used plastic grocery bags, etc. laying around and Ridwell is a new service is augmenting the amazing work the City and other environmental organizations are doing to make our neighborhood a clean and green community. Join this FREE pickup for Plastic Film on May 25th and help us keep the hard-to-recycle plastic out of our landfills and waterways! This flayer has more details.
This Week’s City Council Meeting to Focus on Security: This SaMo Lookout report details some of the key items including maintaining police radio towers on Santa Monica’s tallest rooftop and retaining ambassadors at its busiest parks.
City Approves Digital Kiosks Starting in June: This SaMo Mirror report discusses the rollout plans for the first of ~50 kiosks expected to generate $14 million in annual revenue for the city.
Advocates for Santa Monica’s Historic Preservation Program Calling for Action to Save It: The Santa Monica Conservancy is proposing a two-phased approach to restore the Landmarks Program, including streamlining processing and hiring trained preservation professional. More details here and the Conservancy encourages people to email City Council at firstname.lastname@example.org asking them adopt the plan before noon on May 23rd.
Tourism Nearly Doubles Last Year as the City Rebuilds Post-Pandemic: This SMDP report from last week’s Santa Monica Travel and Tourism’s 14th annual summit includes more data on annual revenue and more, including that “every SaMo household would have to contribute $1,400 more” without tourism.
Council-Member Jesse Zwick’s Monthly Digest: Here is a link to his May update that includes his thoughts on the importance of protected bike lanes and City efforts to address homelessness.
Nancy Silverton’s @TripleBeamPizza is Coming Soon to Main Street: This Instagram post from the Michelin starred chef is making us hungry and excited!
“The Street Seen: Ocean Park Electric Trolley”: This week’s article shares the history and some interesting pictures of the Ocean Park Loop that ran from 1896 to 1908.
‘Kitten season’ begins at the Santa Monica Animal Shelter: More details here on the city’s animal shelter that is about to see an influx of kittens looking for forever homes.
Things To Do This Week:
- Rhythm and Spice Lunchtime AAPI Event (11:30am-2pm): All are invited to Ken Genser Square at City Hall for a lunchtime event featuring food trucks and performers that offer a taste of a few cultures from the Asian American and Pacific Islander community.
- Birdie G’s x Aberfeldy Whiskey Dinner (Tuesday 6pm): The intimate experience in “Al’s Workshop” (aka, our private dining room) begins with canapés and an elegant whisky cocktail from Bar Manager Stephanie Reading. Then, settle in for an incredible 4 course-dinner paired with Aberfeldy’s 12, 16, 18 and 21-year whiskies as their team shares stories about the distillery’s history and walks you through the tasting. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Airport Commission Meeting (Monday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm (Public Portion starts closer to 6:30 pm)): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- OPA Main St Task Force Meeting (Wednesday 1pm @ Ashland Hill): This task force addresses issues unique to Main St, such as strengthening the ties between stores & the community, helping shape city policy for the street on issues such as restaurant parklets and zoning, and planning events such as Sharing an Open Main St. Click here to email Robbie Leer for more info or to get involved.
- City Council Special Meeting (Wednesday @ 6pm): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for agenda that is mostly focused on adopting a new catalytic converters theft law.