Highlights & Video Clips from This Week’s OPA Monthly Meeting (Thank You Veo for Sponsoring!):
- SaMo Police Department: Click here to watch Crime Prevention Coordinator Halima Barreto & Officer Navarro discussed crime data, offered tips, etc.
- Kevin Klaus & Kay Khadem from SMMUSD: Click here to watch them discuss details of imminent Muir campus construction plans.
- Justin Markell: Click here to see him discuss how Cultivate LA & Value Co have partnered up to make Main St Farmers Market more engaging through gamification, etc.
- May 2023 Board Reports: Discussions included Sharing an Open Main St 2023 and other event planning, Homelessness Task Force, Renters Task Force, & Diversity Task Force (click here to watch the video). Volunteers NEEDED to join them and drive their agendas!
- Click here to watch the meeting in its entirety
- May Meeting Preview: SMPD Chief Ramon Batista will be joining live to speak with community and field questions.
Get to Know the OPA Arts Task Force Which Meets TONIGHT:
- We work to maintain and expand the art presence in Ocean Park while supporting our local art community. Our efforts focus on creating a connection between our residents, the neighborhood & physical locations while honoring our values, aspirations & history.
- Previously we have worked with the Art of Recovery program on our K-Rail beautification program and are looking forward to working with them again the future. In the meantime, we have written a letter supporting Ocean Park resident & historian Richard Orton on his POP Memorial Project. Additionally, we are exploring ways to work with our local California Heritage Museum and projects such as a Welcome to Ocean Park installation, multi-neighborhood Lincoln Blvd. Collaboration, Walking Tour and potential live performances.
- We meet every 2nd Thursday of the month at 6PM at Tavern on Main St. Anybody looking to get involved by supporting these ideas, new ideas or still figuring it out, come join us – or click here email Nick & Chris!
Rent Control Board proposes a 2.8% increase: More details here on the first proposal since last year’s very public ballot initiative prompted by a 6% change. Rent Control Board meeting is tonight/Thursday @ 7pm. More details & meeting agenda here.
The City is hosting a FREE recycling event this Saturday, May 13th 9am-2pm. at City Yards (2500 Michigan Ave 2nd gate entrance): “ONLY ACCEPTED are unwanted mattresses, box-springs, e-waste, carpet (dry and bug-free), and up to five boxes of paper for shredding! Shredding will happen on-site, and the paper will be recycled. Questions? Call 3-1-1”
KTLA Features New SaMo Art Museum on 3rd St Promenade: Video report here.
Happy Bike Month – Week 2: This SaMo Spoke post details this week’s happy hour and Bike to Work Day on May 18.
Open Mindfulness Studio Launches First LA Location In Venice: More details here on the mindfulness app for breathwork, meditation and movement officially opening its flagship in-person studio in Venice this week.
BTS Exhibition Opens on 3rd St Promenade: This Rolling Stone article has more details on the “Immersive Fan Experience” to celebrate group’s 10th anniversary. Word on the street was that there was a long line of BTS Army members on hand for the opening.
Sunday is Mothers Day: This SantaMonica.com article has quite a few ideas for events, eats & treats, and gifts.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Samohi Hosting Mental Health Expert Panel Open to the Public (Thursday 6:30pm): More details here on the series put on by non-profit ONE Recovery with support and funding from the L.A. Department of Mental Health.
- SaMo Democratic Club Q&A with Senate Candidate Rep. Adam Schiff (Thursday 5:30pm): The Club will also be taking positions on key housing bills moving through the legislature (AB309, SB423 and ACA10). More details here on the Zoom meeting.
- “Gone In a Snap” Rally to Save Our Youth (Friday 12pm): “A public demonstration at SnapChatHQ will bring together non-profit organizations and people across the country to bring attention to the rising death toll on Snapchat and other social media sites and will address topics such as drug-related deaths and cyberbullying.” Interested attendees can start showing up at 12 p.m. on Friday, May 12 at 2600 Ocean Park Blvd.
- Meet Chef Roy Choi, Try His New THC-infused Edibles and Get Free Swag: More details here on his event at MedMen on Abbott Kinney.
- Silent Disco, Loud Moves (Friday 7-10pm): Grab your glowing headphones and party it up right on Third Street Promenade for Disco Fridays! “Our silent DJ’s will curate 3 different channels with the perfect playlist to suit your vibe. Disco Fridays are free and all are welcome.” More details here.
- Parents Night Out Fun-Raiser @ TR!P (Friday 9pm): Help raise money to make a new Mural for SMASH (mural will be on the walls of the interior courtyard). The Jane Fonda’s (a band od SMASH dads) will be performing. More details here.
- Community Garden Open House (Saturday 9-11am): Come tour the Main Street Community Garden with complimentary refreshments and conversations with Community Gardeners. “Looking to get answers to some gardening questions? Need some summer vegetable seeds to get started? This is the place and time to get these handled.”
- 626 Night Market Mini Returns (Saturday & Sunday 1-10pm): The downtown SaMo snack around pop-up is back every other weekend this Spring at the corner of Arizona and 5th with three dozen rotating local food pop-ups, curated by the 626 Night Market team, merchandise & craft vendors, and a full bar. More details and FREE tickets here. Video preview here.
- LA Opera Performs Verdi’s “Otello” for Free at the Santa Monica Pier (Saturday 7:30pm): The performance stars tenor Russell Thomas as Otello and will be conducted by Music Director James Conlon. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and the performance starts at 7:30 p.m. RSVP here.
- Heal the Bay Aquarium Comedy Club (Saturday @ 8pm): Where else can you watch comedy while the fish are swimming around you? And it’s BYOB! More details here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: School of Rock @ 10am this weekend. Here’s the full May calendar.
- Santa Monica Active Aging: Bicycle Safety Class (Monday 1-2pm): More details here.