The following is the Thursday newsletter of the Ocean Park Association.
Preview of OPA Monthly Meeting THIS Monday Monday 8 6:00pm @ Alfalfa: Here’s the draft agenda and here’s what to expect:
- 6-7pm: Veo Scooters: Come try a scooter for free and have all your questions answered
- 6:30pm: Dinner available. Thank you Veo for sponsoring this month’s meeting
- 7-7:45pm: Guests:
- Carey Upton & Gail Pinsker: SMMUSD
- 7:45-8:30: Board Business: Key agenda items include Sharing an Open Main St this summer and POP Memorial
“MAINopoly: Taste of Main Street” Returns Saturday, May 27 (1-5pm): Mark your calendar now for the 8th annual version of this fun and interactive community tasting event. Here’s a link to the Facebook page.
SaMo Active Aging May Programming: Click here to see the complete list of events targeted at helping people 62+ stay active.
DUI & Driver’s License Checkpoint Friday Night: More details here.
Eater LA Previews New Mon Ami at 1541 Ocean Avenue: Opening this weekend, this Eater article says “This New Semi-Hidden Santa Monica Hotspot Will Be the Hangout of the Summer.”
Lucky Yu Replaces Blue Plate Oysterette Ocean Avenue: More details here on the new concept that also opens this weekend and promises to be “a neon-fueled seafood hangout that marries the flavors of Baja California and Japan, while still feeling purely of Los Angeles.”
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Cinco de Mayo Celebrations: This article lists multiple events, including Nosotros Tequila & Mezcal hosting a “tequila tasting trail” on Abbot Kinney and a “Cinco de Mayo Pub Crawl Party” starting at 5pm at Circle Bar and continue on to more Santa Monica bars with exclusive deals on drinks.
- Local Coronation Celebrations (Friday & Saturday): Here’s a list of events at places like Ye Olde King’s Head and The Britannia Pub if that’s your thing.
- Sunset Concerts @ The Penmar Golf Course (Fridays 6pm): The weekly Westside concert series and social gathering is back. They have moved the live music to Fridays from 6-9 this summer (previously Wednesdays). Tickets can be purchased here. Bring a blanket and arrive early to find a good spot on the 1st tee!
- 20 Questions Trivia @ Trip’s (Fridays 7pm): This takes place every Friday night at Trip @ 2101 6th St.Lincoln Blvd.
- BeachLife Festival Returns to Redondo Beach (Friday-Sunday): The festival is “a celebration of beach culture, art, food and music” with a lineup of more than four dozen bands, including The Black Keys, Gwen Stefani, The Black Crowes, the Pixies, Modest Mouse, and John Fogerty.
- Holy Guacamole Cinco de Mayo Run (Saturday 7:30am): More details here on 5K, 10K, or 13.1 Half-Marathon options for participants and for each registration, a tree will be planted on the participant’s behalf through OneTreePlanted.org.
- Conscious Market on Third Street Promenade (Saturday AM): Meet local designers, brands and new businesses. The day’s schedule of events includes free fitness classes at 9 a.m. at Cyclebar for new riders and happy hour at Lanea from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. For more information visit the event’s page.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: School of Rock @ 10am this weekend. Here’s the full May calendar.
- SaMo Charity Wine Auction (Sunday 4pm): The SaMo Education Foundation raises funds for all SaMo public schools, funding more than $23 million in arts and academic programs since 1982. This annual event takes place under the Fairmont Fig Tree. More details here.
L.A. County Fair: The Fair returns to the Fairplex in Pomona this weekend through May 29 with an enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, food and beverage offerings, and more. More info here.