OPA Monthly Meeting TONIGHT: Join us on Alfafa’s back patio @ 2309 Main St Monday May 8 @ 6:00pm! Salads provided by OPA. We will also be hybrid on Zoom. Click here to add to your calendar. Here is the Zoom link to join the meeting starting at 7:00pm and here is the schedule:
- 6:00-7:00: Free VEO Test Rides, Dinner and Socializing
- 7:00-7:10: SMPD
- 7:10-7:25: Carey Upton, Kevin Klaus & Kay Khadem: SMMUSD
- 7:25-7:40: Carla Rosin & Justin Markell: Main St Farmers Market & Cultivate LA/Value Co Partnership
- 7:40-8:30: Board Agenda: Click here to view
Santa Monica Released 2023 Homeless Count Results:
- Here is the city release about it detailing a 15% increase
- Here is a SMDP report about it
- Complete staff reports for the Annual Homeless Report and FY 2023-2027 HSGP funding recommendations are available for viewing here
- Council will hear a presentation on the report this Tuesday, May 9. In lieu of speaking at the meeting, you are encouraged to submit written public comment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
EV Charging for Renters and Rental Property Owners: The city published this guide on rules, options, etc.
City Negotiating a Settlement with the Developer that Filed 13 ‘Builder’s Remedy’ Projects: This SaMo Surf article details the City’s efforts to be able to play a roll in the process.
Video Profile of Tacos 1986: This SaMo Mirror report on the “Tijuana-Style Taco Restaurant Opens Across Santa Monica Pier”
The Street Seen: Shearon 3010 Main Street (between Pier & Marine): This piece does a deep dive on one of the buildings demolished in the widening of Main St.
Wilson Sporting Goods Opens Retail Store on 3rd St Promenade: Here’s a video report from the opening weekend of the store that features a basketball court and live TV screens.
City of Santa Monica is Hiring School Crossing Guards: “Be part of the community as we help students get to school safely. Crossing guards work consistent hours during all regular school days. Applications accepted until June 1, 2023.” Apply here.
Things To Do This Week:
- Native American Artist Matika Wilbur’s “Project 562: Changing the Way We See Native America” Reception and Book Signing (Monday 5pm): Doors open at the Santa Monica College Barrett Art Gallery at 5 p.m. for the talk at 5:30 to 7 p.m. The free reception and book signing will follow.
- An Evening with Laura Dern and Diane Ladd (Monday 8pm @ New Roads School): “Join award-winning actress and activist Laura Dern and her mother, legendary actress Diane Ladd, for a deeply personal conversation on love, art, ambition, and legacy, inspired by her own heart-to-hearts.” More details here.
- LA Housing Forum – What’s Driving L.A.’s Housing Crisis?(Tuesday 7:30pm): KCRWs Anna Scott is exploring the city’s housing crisis this summer from a range of perspectives, untangling this complex, but ultimately solvable issue. The first of four monthly forums is 7:30 Tuesday at the Hammer Museum in Westwood. Admission is free. More details here.
- Santa Monica Active Aging: Technology Class @ Virginia Avenue Park (Wednesday 2-4pm): More details here.
- Other OPA & City Meetings:
- City Council Meeting (Tuesday @ 5:30 pm (Public Portion starts closer to 6:30 pm)): Meetings are hybrid and can be viewed on this YouTube channel. Click here for Agenda.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Clean Beaches Committee Meeting (Wednesday @ 6:30pm): More details here.
- OPA Arts Task Force Monthly Meeting (Thursday @ 6pm): Join on the 2nd Thursday of the month every month at 6pm at Tavern on Main. Feel free to just drop in or click here to email chair Nick Rolston for more info.
- Library Board Meeting (Thursday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- Rent Control Board Meeting (Thursday 7pm): More details & agenda here.