Welcome to SaMo Pride Month 2023!
- Mayor Gleam Davis wrote published this article about “coming together to honor and recognize the contributions of the LGBTQ+ community, and to reaffirm our commitment as a city to equality, diversity, and inclusion” along with a list of events for the month.
- Lifeguard Towers at Will Rogers Beach to be Painted with Pride Colors: They will be unveiled June 17. More details here.
- SaMo Pride Month Festival is THIS Saturday (June 3): More details here on all the Pride festivities around the city.
OPA Membership Drive: If you enjoy this newsletter and all the events and community work OPA is leading, please help our efforts by becoming a member. Most memberships are $20/year but there is also a $10/year option. CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
The OPA Arts Task Force is Developing a Self-Guided Walking Tour Through Ocean Park, Scheduled to Launch This October! We’re still in the very early stages of development! So early, we haven’t even decided what the theme of the tour will be; murals & sculptures? historical houses? purple things? native plants? If you’re interested in helping us develop & execute the tour, click to Nick or Chris to email them to learn more and/or join the next OPA Arts Task Force meeting on June 8th @6PM at Tavern on Main St.
Vote for Santa Monica for Best City for Street Art: OPA has supported the arts in Ocean Park and in Santa Monica! Let’s support our existing art – and future art in our community and City! The contest gives voters four weeks to vote for the candidate of their choice at https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-city-for-street-art-2023/.
Video Recap of the 8th Annual “Mainopoly” Tour of Main Street Restaurants: This SaMo Mirror TikTok shows some of the highlights the sold out event.
City Council to Consider Law to Curb Skyrocketing Catalytic Converter Thefts: This SaMo Lookout article details this week’s special meeting to discuss legislation to help curb the thefts, which have seen 99% of them go unsolved.
Planta is a New Meat-Free Restaurant in the Marina: This Eater LA article details how they are “focusing on Latin-inspired dishes, a robata grill, and more” in a waterfront spot biking distance from OP.
Pasjoli Launching New Tasting Menu: This Eater LA write up details “Chef Dave Beran’s 12-course Dégustation at Pasjoli features heavy French and some seasonal Japanese influences.” The menu launches June 8 and will cost $195/person.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Venice Pride Block Party (Friday 5-11pm): Celebrate Pride by the beach! The block party features DJ sets, a queer market place, food trucks and vendors, all centered around 99 Winward Ave in Venice. Free to attend. More info here.
- Pride Month Festival (Saturday): This year’s Santa Monica Pride events kick off on June 3 with the festival that will turn the entire downtown district into a PRIDE zone. From the Third Street Promenade to the Pier, treats, games and musical performances will be available for people of all ages. The festival is free! More details here on all the Pride festivities around the city and this Patch article has 10 Pride events all around the county.
- SaMo Active Aging: Older Adults Mobility Expo (Saturday 9am-12pm): The Expo will showcase resources, programs, and technologies that can help senior residents in and near Santa Monica travel around the region without a personal vehicle. The Expo offers an opportunity to chat more about Active Aging Pilot Program, Metro On the Move Riders Club, Big Blue Bus, Lyft MODE and other active mobility resources with their program staff directly. More details here.
- 2nd Annual Santa Monica Animal Shelter Open House Fundraiser (Saturday 12-3pm): The event includes an indigenous bird presentation from Michael Chill with Wild Wings of California Wild Bird Rehabilitation Organization, live music from School of Rock West LA House Band, treats from Cadoro Bakery, face painting, balloon animals, and more. More details here.
- Reframe: City Hall Mural – Other Histories of Santa Monica (Saturday 1p): Come to the the newly reopened SaMo History Museum @ 1350 7th St for a talk/workshop on “Other histories of Santa Monica and the Bay District” and decolonial approaches to storytelling. More details here.
- Save Ferris Concert @ The Venice West (Saturday 8pm): More details here on the SoCal based ska punk band’s latest club show.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: It’s Kids’ Day at the Main Street Farmers Market this coming Sunday starting at 10am with Miss Me and the Music Castle. Cabeza de Vaca – Folklorico at 11:15am. Here’s the full June calendar.
- SaMo Pride Event (Sunday 5pm): Annenberg Community Beach House Pride Event (Sunday 5pm): Wind down the weekend at the beach with a FREE celebration with live music, theater, and dance performances by SORORITY: WAVES (“waves of feminism. waves of emotion. waves on the ocean”). More details & RSVP here.
- Cheatsheet of Free Museum Days in L.A.: “Summer is almost here. That means school is out. That means… what can we do with the kids?”Here’s a list of museums offering free days this month.