Preview of OPA Monthly Meeting Agenda Next Monday June 12 6:30pm @ Alfalfa:
- SMPD: Police Chief Batista will be attending in person to discuss all things law enforcement.
- 4th of July Parade: It is less than a month away and we need volunteers to help with planning. CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP OR VOLUNTEER!
- Sharing an Open Main St is Back! Mark your calendars now for the weekends of August 12-13, September 9-10, and October 21-22! We need community members to get involved to help plan our annual celebration. Click here to email Robbie Leer or simply reply to this email to learn more.
AIDS/LifeCycle 2023 Finish Line Festival Coming to OP This Saturday: Celebrate the cyclists and roadies as they finish their 7 day / 545 mile journey from SF @ Beach Parking Lot 4 South (2030 Ocean Ave). Click here to volunteer (I am working the 1-5pm shift if you want to join me) and more details here.
Did you see a homeless individual who might be in need of help? Submit a request at lahsa.org to get assistance for the person in question, or call the SMDP’s Homeless Liaison Program at 310-458-8953.
“Meet Coucou, Venice’s New Cali-French Bistro”: Ocean Park’s own Erin Mosbaugh wrote this Resy article on the “newest resident…on the stretch of Main St…suddenly popping with new and notable restaurant openings.”
SMDP Most Loved Awards: Here’s the complete list of winners that includes Dolcenero Gelato, Jinya Ramen, La Vecchia, ZJ Boarding House, The Pump Station, & 10 Women Gallery.
MAINopoly 2023 Recap: Here’s a fun 1 minute YouTube video montage of some of the highlights.
2023 Summer Reading: “SANTA MONICA READS All Summer”: “Sign up in person starting June 10 at the Main Library, Montana Avenue Branch, or Pico Branch, or click here to register online and learn about our free summer events for everyone, from babies to adults. This summer we are challenging our community to read 600,000 minutes.”
OP’s Post Office History Involves a Grocer Serving as Unofficial Postmaster: This week’s Street Seen does a deep dive on the neighborhood’s postal services.
Things To Do This Week:
- Coming Out West: LGBTQ+ Elders Share Their Stories (June 1 – December 17): The Santa Monica History Museum, in partnership with the OUTWORDS Archive, are featuring the video-based collection of oral histories of Santa Monica Bay area LGBTQ+ elders. More details here.
- Rainbow Family Storytime (Tuesday 10:30am): Celebrate LGBTQIA+ Pride Month with an inclusive storytime for LGBTQIA+ and ally families. For ages 3 & up. More details here.
- SMPD Racial and Identity Profiling Act (Tuesday 6pm): “Dear Santa Monica Community Members, In our ongoing commitment to transparency and building trust within our community, we invite you to join us during the upcoming PSROC meeting to discuss the State of California’s RIPA (Racial and Identity Profiling Act) Report along with Santa Monica’s 2022 data.” More details here.
- LA Housing Forum (Tuesday 7:30pm) Deconflating L.A.’s Homeless and Mental Health Crises: KCRWs Anna Scott is exploring the city’s housing crisis this summer from a range of perspectives, untangling this complex, but ultimately solvable issue. This is the 2nd of four monthly forums at the Hammer Museum in Westwood. Admission is free. More details here.
OPA & City Meetings:
- Public Safety Reform & Oversight Commission Meeting (Tuesday 5:30pm): More details & agenda here.
- OPA Connects Meeting (Wednesday 12pm): Here is the Zoom link or Click Here to add it to your calendar.
- Planning Commission Meeting (Wednesday @ 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- OPA Arts Task Force Monthly Meeting (Thursday @ 6pm): Join on the 2nd Thursday of every month at Tavern on Main. Feel free to just drop in or click here to reach out to Nick Rolston for more info. This month will be largely focused on Self-Guided Walking Tour through Ocean Park the Task Force is working on in hopes of launching it this October! We’re still in the very early stages of development! So early, we haven’t even decided what the theme of the tour will be; murals & sculptures? historical houses? purple things? native plants? If you’re interested in helping us develop & execute the tour, click to Nick or Chris to email them to learn more or just stop into the meeting.
- Library Board Meeting (Thursday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- Rent Control Board Meeting (Thursday 7pm): More details & agenda here.