Highlights & Video Clips from the July OPA Monthly Meeting:
- SaMo Police Department: Click here to watch Crime Prevention Coordinator Halima Barreto & Officer Galvin discuss the recent beach shooting. Note that SMPD agreed to follow up with OPA about why an alert was never issued.
- Michele Wittig (Santa Monica Coalition for Police Reform): Click here to watch her discuss how she got involved, why it’s important, and how all of us can get involved.
- Karen Reitz (Santa Monica Public Library): Click here to listen to her discuss library updates, including goals to reopen the Ocean Park branch, and a lot of their great summer programming.
- July 2023 Board Reports: Discussions included 4th of July Parade wrap up, Sharing an Open Main St 2023 planning, August 1 National Night Out, and other event planning, Homelessness Task Force, Renters Task Force, & Diversity Task Force (click here to listen to the meeting). Volunteers NEEDED to join them and drive their agendas!
- Click here to watch the meeting in its entirety.
The OPA Arts Task Force is Developing a Neighborhood Self-Guided Walking Tour & Needs Input on the Theme! Help us decide by taking the quick survey here. If you’d like to get involved, assist in curating the content, help with a microsite or app, or support in any other fashion, email Nick with your contact info and/or come to our next meeting!
Renter/Homeless Task Force Meeting Monday, July 24 @ 6 pm (Stella Barra): Email Robbie or Nick to learn more.
Final Bowlmor Development (Pico & 3rd St.) Architectural Review Board Hearing Scheduled Monday July 17: “This is the final forum for public input.” The ARB purview is limited to assuring that the development “is in good taste, good design, harmonious with surrounding developments, and in general, contributes to the preservation of Santa Monica’s reputation as a place of beauty, spaciousness, and quality.” The height, density, unit mix, parking, etc are not under review. Written public comments can be emailed to email@example.com. The meeting is hybrid and can be attended in person or via live stream. Check the agenda here on Monday if you plan to attend because the past three meetings back been cancelled and the agenda for this meeting has not yet been posted.
Oceana Santa Monica Tops Travel + Leisure Best of LA: Here’s the full list that also has the SaMo Proper Hotel at #7 & Shutters at #10.
Police Reports That “Blacks were Involved in a Disproportionate Number of Traffic Stops Last Year”: This Surf Santa Monica story details the pretextual stops study that was presented to the Police Reform Commission this week.
Pico and Lincoln Through the Years: This post on “The Santa Monican” Facebook group shares historical pics of the corner now occupied by Starbucks.
National Night Out: Mark your calendars for August 1. More details here on the fun filled police event at City Hall.
Where to Eat?
- Cobi’s on Main St Receives Michelin Bib Gourmand Designation: The Southeast Asian eatery joins the ranks of Melisse, Citrin, Pasjoli, and Rustic Canyon on the esteemed Michelin list. More details here.
- Resy’s “Where to Drink Cocktails Right Now” Pours Love on Isla & Coucou: This list praises Isla for concocting “a cocktail list that combines classics like a refreshing Spanish gin and tonic with peppercorn, rosemary, and sage with newfangled concoctions like the Seaworthy, a play on a dirty martini whose main ingredient uses oyster shell-washed gin.”
- National Ice Cream Day @ Sweet Rose Creamery (Saturday): They are offering a “Sundae Bun-day” special with an Ice Cream Sandwich featuring a Milo + Olive sugar-topped brioche bun filled with your favorite ice cream flavor and drizzled with your choice of luscious hot fudge or caramel sauce.
- 626 Night Market Mini (Saturday & Sunday 1-10p.m. @ the corner of Arizona and 5th Streets): The downtown SaMo snack around pop-up is back every other weekend this Summer with three dozen rotating local food pop-ups, curated by the 626 Night Market team, merchandise & craft vendors, and a full bar. There will also be a Street Fighter (the video game) Tournament Saturday 3-6p.m. More details and FREE tickets here.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- SaMo Forward Monthly Happy Hour (Thursday 6pm @ Santa Monica Brew Works): It’s a joint event with Inclusive Santa Monica.
- Library Board Meeting (Thursday 6pm): More details & agenda here.
- Rent Control Board Meeting (Thursday 7pm): More details & agenda here.
- World of Barbie “Sips After Sunset” After-Hours Drinking Event (Thursday 7:30p.m.): This adults-only event offers themed beverages and bites and exclusive after-hours access to the World of Barbie. Themed drinks include the Pink Drink, the Malibu Sunset, Prosecco and Rose.
- Mix Master Mike of Beastie Boys: The Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame DJ will be showing off his spinning skills. Friday, July 14, 8p.m. @ The Venice West (1717 Lincoln Blvd). More details here.
- Pickle Me Silly!! (Saturday 9-11a.m. @ Ishihara Park Learning Garden, 2909 Exposition Blvd.): Whether you like your pickles sweet or sour, this event is sure to be a big Dill. The Learning Garden will have a demonstration on making Full Sour Dills as well as materials on hand for all kids to make a small jar of quick pickles.
- ‘Charlotte’s Web’ – The Play (11a.m. Saturdays & Sundays, July 15 through 30 @ the Morgan-Wixson Theatre, 2627 Pico Blvd.): This Y.E.S. Youth Theatre program is presenting a kid-friendly stage adaptation of E.B. White’s beloved barnyard fable.
- West Edge Mural Fest (Saturday 11a.m. – 2p.m. @ 12101 W Olympic Blvd.): The new mixed-use development @ Olympic & Bundy is hosting a mural unveiling event with “globally known Muralists including @woes, @dream.weavin, @annacharneyart, and @everydayresearch who created works of art across 4,000 square feet of walls.” This event also includes face painting, henna, and live music.
- Heal the Bay “Nothin’ But Sand” Beach Cleanup (Saturday 10a.m. – 12p.m. @ Will Rogers State Beach – Tower 7 15800 Pacific Coast Highway (At the end of Temescal Canyon Road)): “Join us on the sand for some beach cleanup fun and learn how you can disrupt human plastic dependency & its harmful impact on the planet through composting practices, recycling, and plastic alternatives.” More details here.
- L.A – Oaxaca Art Exhibit Opening (FREE Opening Reception July 15, 5-7p.m. & the exhibition runs until August 26 @ Craig Krull Gallery, 2525 Michigan Avenue, BLD. B-3): This exhibition the work of five artists, all exploring themes of Mexican culture as well as its integration in L.A. lifestyle and heritage.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: “This week we are excited to have a double billing with special guests The Adriana Bravo Duo playing jazz and R&B from 9-11am and Kiazi Halprin from 11am-1pm. Look for new food vendors starting these next couple of weeks!!”