Sharing an Open Main St is Back!
- Mark your calendars now for the weekends of Aug 12-13, Sept 9-10, and Oct 21-22 when Main Street transforms again into a pedestrian plaza all weekend long!
- Expect a “Kids Korner”, plenty of live music, beer gardens, pickleball in the street, and much more!
- CALLING ALL MUSICIANS, PERFORMERS AND LOCAL BUSINESSES! If you know potential sponsors, musicians or other performers, or anyone else who might be interested in being involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org who is spearheading planning.
UrbanizeLA Covers the Bowlmor Redevelopment Plans: This write up details Cypress Equity Investments plans for186 apartments along with 10,000 square feet of retail space.
Bob’s Market Dispels Closure Rumors Amid Social Media Buzz: This SaMo Mirror report says “the owner, Bob, has addressed the speculations and clarified that there are no plans to close the market or sell its land.”
SaMo is 2nd Least Affordable City in the Country for New Homebuyers: This SMDP article quoting a WalletHub study weighs factors such as property-crime rate ranking (261/300), homeownership rate for Millennials (294/300), housing affordability (239/300), cost of living (253/300), cost per square foot (293/300) and rent-to-price-ratio (300/300).
Santa Monica Police Department’s National Night Out August 1: Here is the city press release about the event where “Participants can meet police personnel (human and 4-legged), ask questions about our police vehicles and equipment, and enjoy music, food, and family-friendly activities, including a community art project.”
“Retail Continues to Rebound with New Outlets Opening on Main Street”: This SMDP article details the opening of DMN8 fitness and Aesthetic Ambition which “is undoubtedly among nicest piercing and fine jewelry stores” around. The article also describes “The city of Santa Monica is extremely fortunate to have not one but two economic epicenters; in addition to the Promenade, Main Street also offers a wealth of bars, restaurants and retail opportunities that in all honesty rival its higher-profile sibling” 3rd St Promenade.
Where to Eat?
- LA Magazine Profiles Isla on Main St: This write up states “Crudo e Nudo’s creators’ latest Japanese food sensation is…robatayaki, or Japanese fireside cooking.”
- Xuntos is a New Tapas Spot in the Heroic Deli Space: This EaterLA write up says it “Just Nails the Vibe of a Proper Spanish Pintxos Bar…bringing Northern Spanish bites and wines to the Westside.” 516 Santa Monica Blvd.
- Iconic Old Hollywood Steakhouse Reopened @ Georgian Hotel After 60 Years: This EaterLA article details the “Italian steakhouse the Georgian Room, which first opened in 1933 in Santa Monica and welcomed the likes of Judy Garland, “Bugsy” Siegel, Dick Van Dyke, and more, quietly reopened at the end of June.” 1415 Ocean Ave.
- SoCal Vibes Co. sounds like something you’d see printed on a t-shirt at the Venice Boardwalk, but it’s actually the neighborhood’s newest drinks spot. The second location of a cider brewery in Carson, it pours its own fruit-infused brews, mead, and cocktails made with its house-distilled brandy, like the Blue Californian that mixes lager, brandy, and cider with blue curacao. 522 Abbot Kinney Blvd. https://www.socalvibesco.com/
Things To Do This Weekend:
- “On the Wings of Hermès”: Luxury design house Hermès presents a FREE cinema, dance and design performance meant to be an ode to daydreaming and “celebrates the theme of ‘lightness’ through a tale based on the Greek mythological horse Pegasus.” Now through Sunday @ Barker Hangar, 3021 Airport Ave. More details here.
- FREE Sunset Picnic @ Annenberg Community Beach House: “Pack your favorite picnic dinner, fancy or casual, bring your family and friends, and your fun activities — games, dominoes, checkers. Enjoy a fun, casual beachfront summer evening with a musical duo vibing in the background and S’mores for dessert. (no glass or alcohol are allowed).” Thursday 5:00-8:00p.m. @ 415 Pacific Coast Hwy. More details here.
- FREE ‘Watch at Water Garden’ Summer Movie Series: “Sister Act’: RSVP here. Thursday 8:00p.m. on the Great Lawn at 1620 26th St.
- SaMo Public Library at the Beach: “The Library returns to the beach! Grab your towel and sunscreen and meet us on the sand for a fun-filled day of family-friendly activities like Seaside Storytime and nautical crafts. Sign out books from our collection of beach reads, play games, or just kick back, relax and read in our Surfside Lounge. For all ages!” Friday 10:00a.m.-3:00p.m. @ Annenberg Community Beach House, 415 Pacific Coast Hwy. More details here.
- Don’t Tell Comedy: This BYOB pop-up comedy club that changes locations for every show is back at a secret SaMo location. Friday 8:00p.m.
- SaMo Conservancy Downtown Walking Tour: “Discover downtown Santa Monica’s architecture, history and culture with our team of highly-rated docents. From Art Deco to Victorian and Romanesque Revival, you’ll explore the various styles that fill the streets of our city.” Saturday 10:00a.m. @ 1436 Second St. More details here.
- Sunday Main St Farmers Market: Bach2Rock interactive Kid Jam starts at 9am with Cadre Scott following at 10 am. Starting this week, there will be monthly hands only CPR training with LA Public Health from 10am-1pm (no sign up needed).