Main St. Closed to Traffic from Strand to Hill Streets
ALL WEEKEND for Sharing an Open Main St Festival
Sharing an Open Main St is THIS Weekend! Main St. will again be transforming into a pedestrian plaza all weekend – enjoy a bite at one of the picnic tables, live music, a beer garden & more! Click here for the full lineup and below are a few of the highlights you can expect:
- Pickleball Courts (12-6pm): The Santa Monica Pickleball Center will be hosting open play and exhibition games on pop-up courts just north of Ocean Park Blvd.
- Live Music (starting at 3pm): Tavern on Main and Cabin Creek are both hosting live stages from 3-7pm with music from Petty Theft, the Old Corn Lickers and more. The Victorian will have DJs outdoors and inside from Noon – 10pm.
- Kids Corner (12pm-5pm): Pump Station has a variety of activities scheduled throughout the day including face painting, and story time. A Rock Wall to be scaled will also be available further up the street!
- Beer Garden (2807 Main St.): $15 pre-sale tickets are sold through EOD Thursday and get a number of free tastings including Venice Duck beer and small bites from the Viceroy (until they run out). Tickets will be $20 the day of!
- FREE Pilates (11-1pm Sun): Love for Pilates is hosting complimentary classes. RSVP with $0 tickets here in advance!
Farmers Market (8:30-1:30 Sun): Jazz Quartet and Hands Only CPR training with LA Public Health (no appointment needed) are just two of this week’s attractions.
Shameless Plug to Join OPA and/or Get Involved: Events like this don’t program themselves. You can support OPA by joining today and/or joining a committee.
- Join OPA today or tomorrow and we will buy your beer garden ticket ($15-20 value). OPA Membership is $20/year for an individual ($10 off for seniors) and $30/year for a family. Reply to this email or CLICK HERE for more details.
Preview of OPA Monthly Meeting Agenda Monday August 14 6:30pm @ Alfalfa:
- Guest – SMPD: Update on recent work
- Guest – Anastasia Foster: Rent Control Commissioner
- Board Agenda: Civic Auditorium, Sharing an Open Main St Retro & Planning, and much more
City Quarterly Recycling Event:“ONLY – paper shredding, electronic wastes, mattresses/boxsprings, carpets (dry, no bugs). NO OTHER ITEMS – PLEASE” August 12, 9am – 2pm; Inside City Yards, 2500 Michigan Avenue, follow signs.
2023-24 Santa Monica School Year Calendar: The first day of school for most students in schools in Santa Monica is Aug. 24 and here’s the complete calendar.
The Street Seen: Water – Private Companies: This week’s write up is the 2nd in a series about Ocean Park’s water supply, and covers the period from about 1900 to 1915.
“A Walk Through Pier History” – New Historical Walking Tours @ the Pier: “These new tours are provided in-person via tour guides, but through headphones which give the feeling of exclusivity. Images are also provided for participants to view on their smart phones (physical handouts are also available). It really is a genuine, personal and unique live experience!” Cost is $25 per person, and reservations must be made in advance through the Pier Corporation’s website here.
Local Food News:
- Vamos Vamos 1 Year Anniversary: The Main St nachos and margarita hotspot is celebrating this weekend with a variety of giveaways and specials and FREE birthday cake Sunday 4:00-6:00p.m. 2917 Main St. More details here.
- The Rose Chef Jason Neroni Opens Best Bet: This LA Times article gives some love to the “new neighborhood pizza joint” that he spent nearly 4 years in development. I went last week and LOVED it! 12565 Washington Blvd.
- Owa Sushi: This Eater article describes the new spot in the former Wabi space on Abbot Kinney as “Venice’s New Late-Night Hang Centers on Sushi, Cocktails, and Dancing.” 1635 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- FREE Nespresso Vertuo Pop Café at Santa Monica Pier: “Join Nespresso for a ride in the smallest, most unexpected café of the summer at the Santa Monica Pier. Hosted by TikTok star Noah Beck, we’re transforming Pacific Wheel gondolas into mini Vertuo Pop Cafés in a nod to the compact size and playfulness of our recently launched Pop machine.” Thursday 11:00a.m. – 2:00p.m. @ Santa Monica Pier
- FREE Mount Gay Rum Cocktails: The Mount Gay Mobile Rum Shop at Belles Beach House is celebrating summer by offering complimentary Mount Gay cocktails and snacks for one night. Thursday 3:00 – 8:00p.m. @ 24 Windward Ave.
- Santa Monica Forward Happy Hour: Meet at @ Santa Monica Brew Works (1920 Colorado Ave.) Thursday 6pm
- “Girly Chic Night” @ LouLou: This weekly summer event includes a free glass of bubbly for women over the age of 21 and features music by DJ ARA until midnight. Thursdays starting at 6:30p.m. @ 395 Santa Monica Place.
- Actor Tony Todd Hosts Movie Night in Virginia Ave. Park: This event includes a screening of “Little Big League,” a visit from longtime Santa Monica celebrity Tony Todd and health screenings provided by a local hospital. Friday 6:00p.m. @ 2200 Virginia Ave.
- Montana Ave. End of Summer Sidewalk Sale: Stores from 6th to 17th Streets are participating. More details here. Saturday & Sunday 10:00a.m.-6:00p.m.