Highlights & Video Clips from August OPA Monthly Meeting:
- SaMo Police Department: Click here to watch Crime Prevention Coordinator Halima Barreto & Officer Navarro discuss recent activity.
- Susan Lamb and Erica Cuyugan (Santa Monica Public Library): Click here to listen to them discuss library updates, including goals to reopen the Ocean Park branch.
- Guest: Anastasia Foster – Commissioner, Santa Monica Rent Control Board: Click here to watch her discuss the upcoming annual rent increase and a variety of other rent control matters, including a lawsuit against the owner of the Barrington Plaza and a statewide ballot measure that could repeal Costa Hawkins that currently limits city controls.
- Ruthann Lehrer (Former Landmarks Commissioner): Click here to listen to her discuss her thoughts on the Civic Auditorium.
- August 2023 Board Reports: Discussions included Sharing an Open Main St 2023, and other event planning, and Arts, Education, and Diversity Task Force reports (click here to listen to the meeting). Volunteers NEEDED to join them and drive their agendas!
- Click here to watch the meeting in its entirety.
New Ocean Park Library Task Force: Some of our community members have begun to discuss the future of the OP Library. Can it be more than a library? Is it possible to add a center of the community aspect to the discussion? Let us know if you’d like to take part in the discussion, and we’ll notify you when we’ll be meeting to discuss possibilities. Reply to me or click here to email Judy Abdo to weigh in or get involved.
Sharing an Open Main St Festival Wrap Up & Sept Planning Kickoff:
- Initial survey feedback is incredibly positive with Over 90% of respondents reporting they have positive opinions of the street closure. If you haven’t taken the survey yet, please click here to weigh in and help shape future events.
- This Santa Monica Closeup video report highlights pickleball taking center stage and “infusing the event with an extra dose of excitement and energy” thanks to complimentary introductory lessons, live matches, and open play sessions.
- This SMDP report said “Once again Main Street is showing the rest of Santa Monica that it is the events and activities epicenter of the city.”
- SaMo CloseUp Profiles WestSide Volkswagen Club: This video report features a lot of the cars at the even and the people involved with the club.
- This SMDP report said “It was a weekend of warm weather and cool cars in Santa Monica as the year’s first Open Main Street event brought food, music and activities to the Ocean Park neighborhood.”
Things To Do This Weekend:
- “Cars & Coffee” @ the Water Garden (FREE): This event “features a hand-selected group of Lowriders on display along with live music, a food truck, a custom floral station and more!” with coffee sold by Dirty Latte Co. Thursday, Aug 17, 12:00-2:00p.m. 1620 26th St.
- Don’t Tell Comedy: This BYOB pop-up comedy club that changes locations for every show is back at a secret Venice location. Friday, Aug 18, 8:30p.m.
- Endless Summer C.A.M.P. (Community | Art | Music | Picnic) at Tongva Park (FREE): This first of four Saturday events celebrates community, arts and culture. Bring a picnic and join as artists from across Santa Monica and the LA region share their culture through interactive music, performances, and hands-on crafts. Special performances by local youth will be featured. Open to all. Saturdays, Aug 19 & 26, Sept 2 & 9, 11:00a.m.-2:00p.m.
- 4th Annual Tomato Tasting Competition (FREE): “Calling all maters!!! Bring your Black Krims, your Sun Golds, your Green Zebra or your Purple Cherokee. Bring your Big Rainbows, Amish Paste, and Mortgage Lifters for all to see.” More details here. No RSVP needed. Saturday, Aug 19, 9:00 – 11:00a.m. @ Ishihara Park, 2909 Exposition Blvd.
- “Our Own Device” Exhibition @ Yiwei Gallery (FREE): “Delve into the interplay between escapism, addiction, and alluring artificial worlds. It invites viewers to reflect on the impact the virtual has on our lives and psyche.” Opening Reception Saturday, Aug 19, 2:00-5:00p.m. Exhibit runs until Sept. 17. 1350 Abbot Kinney Blvd. More here.
- Pa’s Biscuitisserie Pop Up@ Coucou: This pop-up biscuit concept pays tribute to chef Nick Westbrook’s Southern roots and the biscuit eateries he grew up visiting. The menu is divided into three styles – sandwich, gravy, and sweet. Highlights included a Fried Chicken Biscuit Sandwich, Spicy Lamb Sausage & Gravy in a goat milk bechamel, and a classic Jam & Honey Butter Biscuit. August 20 & 21, 8:00a.m.-1:00p.m. @ 218 Main St.
- Queer Picnic Summer Series (FREE): “Join us by the beach for sunny afternoons filled with good food, new friends, and chill vibes.” All welcome. Sunday, Aug 20 @ Ocean View Park, 2701 Barnard Way.
- Main St. Sunday Farmers Market: Blue Grass is back at the market with Lazy Dog Mountain Band this Sunday 10am-1pm. And at noon Kiki will host a Sound Bath on the lawn. The Border Grill Food Truck will be there too from 8:30a.m.-1:30p.m.
- Craw Daddy Boiler Summer Bash @ Esters: Expect a Louisiana-style crawfish boil on the patio from Craw Daddy Boiler. “Prepare to get your hands delightfully messy and dig into lots of fresh crawfish and seafood, while enjoying a special ‘Fizzy Beverage’ themed Sunday tasting.” More details here. Sunday, Aug 20, 2:00-7:00p.m. @ 1314 7th St.