Next Main St Festival in Less than Two Weeks!
- All weekend of Sept. 9 & 10, Main St. will again be closed to traffic and transformed into a pedestrian plaza from Strand to Hill Streets!
- Saturday Sept. 9 will be a “Day of the Dog” celebration of the extraordinary bond between humans and canines. Expect dog surfing, dog pool party, dog foam party and MUCH more on the street and get to meet local and national pet-related companies, and discover the latest and greatest products from California’s leading pet exhibitors. More details here.
- Volunteers Needed @ The OPA Booth! Even if you only have an hour to spare, it’s a great way to meet other OPA and community members! Reply to this email or click here to email Robbie Leer to learn more.
City Modifies Leaf Blower Ordinance to Allow Zero-Emission Blowers: The City published this statement detailing the new rules that allows leaf blowers a sound rating at or below 70 decibels and enhancing enforcement of the City’s leaf blower policy by allowing community members to submit photo or video evidence of violations to 311.
September Events at SaMo Public Library: Here is their calendar that includes Computer Classes on “Intro to Chromebooks” and “How to Use Zoom”, Fraud and Identity Theft Awareness, “Memory & Aging: What You Need to Know”, and Disaster Preparedness for Seniors.
The History of the Bust Outside the California Heritage Museum: This week’s Street Seen explains that it’s a memorial of Santa Monica founder John P. Jones and how it got there.
Heal the Bay Celebrates 20th Anniversary with Expanded Presence on the Pier: This SMDP article details the welcome center and gift shop location on the SaMo Pier this month, expanding beyond the aquarium located underneath the pier.
Local Business & Food News:
- Bicycle Ambulance: This little shop at 2212 Lincoln Blvd. is a great spot to get your bike fixed or find a new/used ride. Here’s my Yelp review for them: “Newton does great work at very reasonable prices. He is honest and takes time to explain what he’s doing and why and gives future maintenance tips to prevent future issues. HIGHLY recommend!”
- KTLA Features “the Couple Behind Isla” on Main St: This video story that aired on California Cooking with Jessica Holmes details the “story behind Leena Culhane and Brian Bornemann, partners in life” and how they opened Crudo e Nudo and Isla.
- The Infatuation Reviews Coucou: This mostly positive write up describes it as a “lively, rosé-guzzling scene on Main Street” and “The ambiance (and great drinks) makes it a buzzy dinner option for when being “out and about” is the night’s top priority—except the food here is pretty solid, too.”
- Reply to this email if you have a local business you want to recommend or see highlighted!
Things To Do This Week:
- Aleksander Wine Tasting with NBA Star Sasha Vujačić @ Wallys: Thursday @ 5:30p.m. More details here.
- World of Barbie Closing its Doors Sept 4th: This is the last week to get your Barbie on at SaMo Place. https://www.theworldofbarbie.com/
OPA & City Meetings: