NOTE: There will be no OPA Update on Monday Sept. 4 as we are taking off for a long holiday weekend. Have a great holiday!
September OPA Calendar of Events:
- Day of the Dog Themed Sharing an Open Main St. Festival (Saturday Sept. 9 & Sunday Sept. 10): Main St. will transform into a pedestrian plaza again this weekend, all weekend long. Scheduled activities include a ton of dog themed events, a variety of kids programming (including Kids Korner @ Pump Station, a beer garden, live music, and MUCH more. More details here.
- Monthly OPA Meeting (Monday Sept. 11): Guests include SMPD, Jim Harris (Santa Monica Pier Board) and the Livable Communities Initiative.
DUI / Driver’s License Checkpoint Sept. 1: SMPD Traffic Unit will conduct a driving under the influence (DUI) Checkpoint on Friday, September 1, from 6:00 PM to 2:00 AM at an undisclosed location within the city limits. More details here.
Santa Monica Rents Rise After 3-Month Drop: Santa Monica rents rose 1.8 percent in August, bucking a nationwide trend that saw rents dip for the first time since February, according to Apartment List’s monthly report. More details here.
SMMUSD Ranked Among State’s Top School Districts: This Surf SaMo article details that SMMUSD ranks ninth in LA County and 16th in California among the 440 school districts, along with more data about teacher salaries and test score rankings.
Venice Family Clinic Opens Redesigned Center on Rose Ave.: This SMDP article details how TV producer Chuck Lorre donated to help make it happen.
Things to Eat and Drink this Weekend:
- Handel’s Ice Cream Opens on Ocean Park Blvd.: The world’s #1 ice cream brand according to National Geographic opened last week featuring 48 flavors daily, including Graham Central Station, Oree-Dough, Black Cherry, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie. 1701 Ocean Park Blvd. https://handelsicecream.com/store/santamonica
- Abbot Kinney First Friday Food Truck Fest: About two dozen food trucks are expected to line the street for this monthly event. Friday, Sept. 1, 5:00 – 9:30p.m.
- Stella Barra Celebrating Labor Day With All-Day Happy Hour (Monday Noon – 9 p.m.): Expect $5 select glasses of wine; $5 beers, seltzers and ciders such as Skyduster and Two Coast; $8 cocktails such as Electric Lemonade and Crimson Apple, and more. 2000 Main St.
- Labor Day Buffet Brunch @ LouLou (Monday 11:30a.m. – 4:30p.m.): Expect DJs and live performances at the rooftop restaurant & lounge. 395 Santa Monica Place.
- Labor Day Luau at Belles Beach House’s Ocean-Side Patio (Monday 12 – 6p.m.): The Hawaiian-inspired restaurant will be serving a specialty menu of luau-style favorites like Kalua Pork Sliders and Garlic Fried Chicken along with cocktails and music from a live DJ who will be spinning all afternoon. 24 Windward Ave.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Endless Summer C.A.M.P. (Community | Art | Music | Picnic) at Tongva Park (FREE): This third of four Saturday events celebrates community, arts and culture. Bring a picnic and join as artists from across Santa Monica and the LA region share their culture through interactive music, performances, and hands-on crafts. Special performances by local youth will be featured. Open to all. Saturday, 11a.m. – 2p.m.
- Soundwaves New Music Series Presents Patrick Shiroishi (FREE): The saxophonist and composer is performing to celebrate the return of the SaMo Public Library being open on Saturdays. Saturday, 3:30p.m. @ Main Library Auditorium, 601 Santa Monica Blvd. www.soundwavesnewmusic.com
- SaMo Airport Antique Market: Noted as One of the Top Ten “Flea Markets’ in America, this is “a fun outdoor (and dog-friendly!) market full of many great dealers with furniture, antiques, collectibles, art, vintage clothes, jewelry, rugs and much more.” Sunday, Sept. 3, 7a.m. – 3p.m. @ 2800 Airport Ave.
- Glow Up Beach Yoga (FREE): Expect a “45-minute yoga class set to an inspirational soundtrack as we reconnect to ourselves and reset near the ocean! This class is beginner friendly and open to all levels but please bring your yoga mat or beach towel!” Sunday 10:00a.m. @ 530 Pacific Coast Hwy. More details here.
- Main St. Sunday Farmers Market: “Looking for a chill place to be on this busy Labor Day Weekend? We will be celebrating the holiday with special guests Masanga Marimba Band from 10am-1pm. We’ve got everything from breakfast to BBQ.” Here is the complete September calendar.
- Americana in the Park 2023 (FREE): “Bring a picnic, blanket, and beach chairs for this end-of-summer series that explores Americana styles from its roots to modern forms.” This week’s event features folk duo Eleni & Milo and alt-country rock band Dead Rock West along with multiple food trucks, including Drizzle Funnel Cakes, Messi Burgers, Salt n Pepper. Every Sunday in September, 4 – 7p.m. @ Gandara Park, 1819 Stewart St.