Highlights & Video Clips from September OPA Monthly Meeting:
- SaMo Police Department: Click here to watch Crime Prevention Coordinator Halima Barreto & Officer Navarro discuss recent activity and meet new Beat 2 Officer Wang.
- Jim Harris: Executive Director, Santa Monica Pier: Click here to listen to them discuss library updates, including goals to reopen the Ocean Park branch.
- Livable Communities Initiative – Lindsay Sturman: Click here to watch her discuss the their efforts to convert existing commercial businesses into mixed use residential.
- Sept. 2023 Board Reports: Discussions included Sharing an Open Main St 2023, and other event planning, and Arts, Education, and Diversity Task Force reports (click here to watch that part of the meeting). Reply to this email if you’re interested in getting involved in a committee.
- Click here to watch the meeting in its entirety.
What To Do About a Sofa, Mattress, Etc. on the Sidewalk: Be the awesome person who contacts the City via 311 to tell them about it so they can get rid of it. The Resource Recovery and Recycling (3R) Division will come out and take it away for FREE. Here are a few ways to use the City’s 311 system to submit a request for “Bulky Item and Electronic Pickup”:
- Phone: (866) 311-7266
- Email: email@example.com
- Online form: https://311.santamonica.gov/csp
- Get the Santa Monica 311 App for your phone: https://www.santamonica.gov/process-explainers/santa-monica-311
Status Update on 2601 Lincoln Blvd. “Gelsons” Project: The city recently shared these points with OPA:
- The 2601 Lincoln Blvd project’s preliminary design review discussion will be held at the Architectural Review Board on Monday, September 18. This will be a regular meeting of the ARB held in City Hall starting at 7pm.
- This is a preliminary review of the project’s building design, materials, colors, and landscaping plan. The purpose of the ARB’s preliminary review is for the Board to provide conceptual feedback on the proposed project design.
- More information is available on the ARB’s meeting agenda: https://www.smgov.net/Departments/PCD/Boards-Commissions/Architectural-Review-Board/
- The Formal ARB Design Review public hearing will be scheduled after an Administrative Approval Application is issued.
Narcan is now Available Over the Counter: More details here.
Happy Birthday – SaMo Pier turned 114 on Saturday: Did you know 12 million people visit our iconic Pier each year? Here’s a historical slideshow of the Pier.
LA Times Declares “This SaMo Restaurant Makes the Best Grilled Cheese in the Universe”: This write up drools over the Croque Matthieu on the Michelin starred Pasjoli’s bar menu. 2732 Main St.
Things To Do This Weekend:
- Celebrando Independencia (FREE): Join Familias Latinas Unidas (FLU) as they celebrate de Independence of Latin American Countries. Come dressed in traditional clothing and enjoy history, mariachi, food and the “grito”. Friday, Sept. 15, 6 – 10p.m. @ Virginia Avenue Park, 2200 Virginia Ave. More details here.
- Don’t Tell Comedy is a BYOB pop-up comedy club that changes locations for every show. Secret location on Abbot Kinney in Venice this Friday night, Sept. 15. More details here.
- Kennedi Carter’s Exhibition “A Meditation on the Untitled” (FREE) Closes Saturday: This show features photography that reflects on the Black Southern experience, depicting intimate relationships within households. The photography touches on themes of queerness and gender in its portrayal of life inside the home. Daily through Saturday Sept. 16, 10a.m. – 6p.m. @ Rose Gallery, 2525 Michigan Ave B7
- 2nd Annual Sustainable Landscape Open House: Learn How You Can Save Water & Money with Santa Monica’s Landscape Rebate Programs. Saturday, Sept. 16, 9a.m. – 12p.m. @ Ishihara Park, 2909 Exposition Blvd. More details here.
- Art Workshop: Rinsing the Bones + Unfolded Narratives (FREE): Take part in this continuously unfolding art piece at 18th Street Arts Center. “Happening once monthly, artist Jenny Yurshansky hosts simultaneous workshops related to her solo exhibition where participants work with the artist to explore how our migration stories offer us paths for understanding our own histories, places of origin, and how that impacts our sense of belonging and identity. Saturday, Sept. 16, 1 – 4 p.m. @ 1639 18th St.
- Main St. Sunday Farmers Market: Kicking off this year’s apple season with DJ and the Main Street Jam 10am-1pm.
- Ethiopian Cultural Festival (FREE): Join the Ethiopian Community in Santa Monica (ECOMISM) in celebrating Ethiopian Culture and new year with traditional music and a fashion show, authentic Ethiopian food, and traditional coffee ceremony, as well as fun activities for children. Sunday, Sept. 17, 2 – 7p.m. @ Virginia Avenue Park. More details here.
Americana in the Park 2023 (FREE): “Bring a picnic, blanket, and beach chairs for this end-of-summer series that explores Americana styles from its roots to modern forms.” Sunday, Sept. 17 features folk/pop singalong with McCabe’s Hootenanny Collective and East L.A ska with The Delirians along with multiple food trucks. Every Sunday in Sept., 4 – 7p.m. @ Gandara Park, 1819 Stewart St.